The Target Zone is defined by the lasso on the 2 x 2 (all Initiatives inside the Target Zone are automatically marked as a priority). Although the Target Zone can be adjusted to select the group of Initiatives to include as a priority, in reality, there will always be some exceptions where you want to:
- Exclude a specific Initiative inside the Target Zone; or
- Include a specific Initiative outside the Target Zone.
In the diagram below, you can see that the Cloud Platform Established initiative has been excluded (even though it is inside the lasso - Target Zone). Also, the Innovation Management initiative is included as a priority (even though it is outside the lasso).
NOTE, the total Priority Zone Estimated Cost is automatically adjusted when an Initiative is included or excluded.
To include or exclude a specific Initiative, you must select the Initiative on the 2x2 and open the properties panel. In the properties panel, you can set the "Priority Zone Selection" value as follows
- Automatic (by Lasso) - The Initiative is automatically selected based on whether it is inside or outside the lasso.
- Include in the priority zone - The initiative is always included in the priority zone
- Exclude from the priority zone - The initiative is always excluded from the priority zone